This week’s episode is sponsored by Simple Contacts, a convenient way to renew your contact lens prescription and reorder your brand of contacts from anywhere, in minutes. Get $20 off your contacts at simplecontacts.com/eyl OR enter code eyl at checkout.
During this divisive moment in our country, how do we model good citizenship for our kids? In Episode 140 of Edit Your Life, Christine interviews Rana DiOrio, co-author of the forthcoming book What Does It Mean to Be American? Rana shares what inspired her to write the book, what she felt was missing in the children’s book publishing market, and how books can open the door to two foundational aspects of good citizenship: inclusivity and empathy.
Resources mentioned in this episode
- Minimalist Parenting (our book)
- Rana’s book, What Does It Mean to Be American? (Amazon, available for preorder before April 8, 2018)
- What Does It Mean to be Global? (Amazon)
- Rana’s other books (Amazon)
- Two recent editorial pieces by Rana: Writing a book with my Republican friend taught me about ties that bind + Let’s show children what it means to be American and inspire them to honor our democracy
- Book recommendation from Rana: Teaching and Learning for Intercultural Understanding: Engaging Young Hearts and Mind
- Creative Mint (Rana’s new company)
- Natasha Bedingfield’s “Unwritten” (Rana’s happy song)
- A 6th grade activist writing “get out the vote” postcards in her “America Is…” tee(Brave New World Designs Instagram)
- America Is… tee (Brave New World Designs)
- Future Voter tee (Brave New World Designs)
- Related episode: Episode 125: Serendipity Space
- Related episode: Episode 103: Dreaming Big + Making Change [guest interview with Amy McGrath]
- Related episode: Episode 119: Modeling Imperfection
- Related episode: Episode 116: Tackling Challenges + Insecurities
- Related episode: Episode 138: Everyday Stress Management
Question Of The Week
What’s a small, simple thing you do to teach your kids about citizenship? Join the discussion on the Edit Your Life Facebook page (look for the Question Of The Week post pinned to the top of the page).
Get In Touch
- Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Talk to us on Instagram or Twitter using #EditYourLifeShow
Interested in sponsorship?
We’ve got an awesome range of lifestyle, parenting and productivity topics in the queue for future episodes. If you’d like to discuss sponsoring an episode, email us at email@example.com.
Catch up on previous episodes
Here’s a complete listing of every episode.