This week’s episode is sponsored by EveryPlate, a meal kit service that is all about making good food affordable and easy. Go to everyplate.com and use the discount code EYL at checkout for 50% off your first box.
The allegations of sexual assault against now-Supreme Court Justice Brett Kavanaugh shined a painfully glaring light on the importance of discussing harassment and abuse with kids. In Episode 137 of Edit Your Life, we rebroadcast Christine’s interview with Nora Gelperin, Director of Sexuality Education and Training at Advocates for Youth. She shares down-to-earth advice about how to talk to kids about sexual abuse: what it is, how to recognize it, and how to protect themselves. Christine and Nora also discuss how to advocate for a strong sex ed program at your child’s school, and Nora recommends her favorite sex ed resources.
Resources mentioned in this episode
- Minimalist Parenting (our book)
- Christine’s recent Instagram post in response to Dr. Christine Blasey Ford’s bravery
- Related episode: Episode 135: Parenting Through Fear
- The Movement of #MeToo (The Atlantic)
- Diana Nyad: My Life After Sexual Assault (NY Times; Note: graphic descriptions)
- Christine’s Facebook Live video about her childhood experiences with sexual harassment (Boston Mamas)
- AMAZE (short, fun videos about sexuality and other topics parents and kids find uncomfortable to discuss)
- AMAZE Having The Talks
- Nora Gelperin is Director of Sexuality Education and Training for Advocates for Youth
- Why Sex Ed
- Deborah Roffman: But How’d I Get In There In The First Place?
- Robie Harris: It’s So Amazing, It’s Not the Stork, It’s Perfectly Normal
Question Of The Week
What books, websites or other resources you recommend for talking with kids about sexual harassment? Join the discussion on the Edit Your Life Facebook page (look for the Question Of The Week post pinned to the top of the page).
Get In Touch
- Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Talk to us on Instagram or Twitter using #EditYourLifeShow
Interested in sponsorship?
We’ve got an awesome range of lifestyle, parenting and productivity topics in the queue for future episodes. If you’d like to discuss sponsoring an episode, email us at email@example.com.
Catch up on previous episodes
Here’s a complete listing of every episode.