This week’s episode is sponsored by Thrive Market, an online marketplace that offers thousands of best-selling non-GMO foods and natural products at 25-50% below traditional retail prices. Go to thrivemarket.com/edityourlife to get 25% off your first order + a free 30 day trial. (No code necessary.)
Say the phrase “communicating with teens” to another parent and you’ll often be met a sigh and an eyeroll. While parenting teens comes with its complications, we’ve discovered there are also many joyful surprises along the road leading to our kids’ independence. In Episode 134 of Edit Your Life, Christine and I share anecdotes and tips for communicating with teens. We suggest shifts in perspective, conversational tweaks, and ways to communicate non-verbally that can help open the door to more openness…even if that means less talking.
Resources mentioned in this episode
- Minimalist Parenting (our book)
- Center for Parent & Teen Communication at Parentandteen.com
- Related episode: Episode 122: Helping Teens Thrive [guest interview with Ken Ginsburg]
- Related episode: Episode 79: The Joy of Tweens + Teens
- Related episode: Episode 133: Recalibrating Your Social Media Use
- 13 Things I Want for my Teenager (Boston Mamas)
- Book: How to Talk So Teens Will Listen, and Listen So Teens Will Talk by Adele Faber and Elaine Mazlish
- Amaze.org (this fantastic sex education organization is one of Christine’s digital strategy clients)
- Related episode: Episode 104: Talking to Your Kids About Sexual Harassment
Question Of The Week
How do you best communicate with your teen? Join the discussion on the Edit Your Life Facebook page (look for the Question Of The Week post pinned to the top of the page).
Get In Touch
- Email us at email@example.com
- Talk to us on Instagram or Twitter using #EditYourLifeShow
Interested in sponsorship?
We’ve got an awesome range of lifestyle, parenting and productivity topics in the queue for future episodes. If you’d like to discuss sponsoring an episode, email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Catch up on previous episodes
Here’s a complete listing of every episode.