The word happiness gets thrown around a lot, especially when it comes to family life. But what does “being a happy parent” mean? Does it mean we’re having fun? We’re on top of things? We’re sure of ourselves? None of us feels those things all the time, but most of us would like to feel those things more. In Episode 131 of the Edit Your Life podcast, Asha interviews KJ Dell’Antonia, author of the new book How To Be A Happier Parent: Raising a Family, Having a Life, and Loving (Almost) Every Minute. Asha and KJ talk about analysis paralysis and its impact on happiness, kids’ “independence continuum,” handling sibling dynamics, and making decisions about screen time. Through it all, KJ shares real-world stories about how we can all be more happy, however that looks for us.
Resources mentioned in this episode
- Minimalist Parenting (our book)
- How To Be A Happier Parent: Raising a Family, Having a Life, and Loving (Almost) Every Minute (KJ’s new book)
- #AmWriting with Jess and KJ (KJ’s podcast with Jessica Lahey about the art, craft and biz of writing)
- KJ’s writing at the New York Times Motherlode Blog/Well Family
- KJs writing at Slate
- Related episode: Episode 129: How To Teach Kids Life Skills
- Related episode: Episode 122: Helping Teens Thrive [guest interview with Ken Ginsburg]
- Related episode: Episode 110: Untangling Overparenting [guest interview with Jessica Lahey]
- Related episode: Episode 98: The Four Tendencies [guest interview with Gretchen Rubin]
- Related episode: Episode 94: Raising Tech Positive Kids [guest interview with Devorah Heitner]
- Related episode: Episode 89: Raising Independent Kids [guest interview with Amy Mascott]
- Related episode: Episode 77: Parenting Do-Overs
- Related episode: Episode 72: Minimalist Parenting
Question Of The Week
What’s one small thing that helps you be a happier parent? Join the discussion on the Edit Your Life Facebook page (look for the Question Of The Week post pinned to the top of the page).
Get In Touch
- Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Talk to us on Instagram or Twitter using #EditYourLifeShow
Interested in sponsorship?
We’ve got an awesome range of lifestyle, parenting and productivity topics in the queue for future episodes. If you’d like to discuss sponsoring an episode, email us at email@example.com.