Screen time poses a challenge for most families, but even more so during the summer when school structure falls away and many kids’ free time (good!) defaults to being filled with “zombie” electronics (bad!). Simplistic, catch-all rules ignore the reality that managing screen time is complicated. In Episode 126 of Edit Your Life, Christine and I acknowledge the complexity of our ever-changing relationship with electronics. We talk about what has worked (and what hasn’t) in our families, and offer tips and perspective on how to navigate your own family’s screen time situation.
Thanks to our episode sponsor, Young Woodworkers, a great, hands-on alternative to screen time for 7-12 year-olds. Edit Your Life listeners get big savings on the first shipment. Head to youngwoodworkers.com/edit to subscribe and get a 50% discount — $9.99 plus postage and processing for the first kit (no promo code needed)!
Click “play” above to listen. If the player isn’t visible, listen directly at SoundCloud.com, or use a podcast app on your phone or tablet. Not sure how? Click here for directions.
Resources mentioned in this episode
- Minimalist Parenting (our book explains the “More and Less List” in detail)
- Related episode: Episode 94: Raising Tech Positive Kids (guest interview with Devorah Heitner)
- Related episode: Episode 44: Navigating Summer Schedules
- Related episode: Episode 41: Smarter Smartphone Use
- Related episode: Episode 19: The Upside of Electronics
- Related episode: Episode 29: Editing Extracurricular Pressure
- How to Pursue Hobbies with Kids (Boston Mamas)
- Asha & Christine’s Facebook Live conversation about Summer Intentionality
- Autodesk Sketchbook (the digital art program Mira uses, now free!)
- Christine’s I Am Very Busy notebook
- The big Post-It Notes Asha mentioned
Question Of The Week
What’s your kid’s favorite non-electronic summer activity? Join the discussion on the Edit Your Life Facebook page (look for the Question Of The Week post pinned to the top of the page).
Get In Touch
- Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Talk to us on Instagram or Twitter using #EditYourLifeShow
Interested in sponsorship?
We’ve got an awesome range of lifestyle, parenting and productivity topics in the queue for future episodes. If you’d like to discuss sponsoring an episode, email us at email@example.com.
Catch up on previous episodes
Here’s a complete listing of every episode.