The results of the 2016 presidential election kicked off a remarkable wave of activism, with record numbers of women running for office and people becoming more active at the city, state, and federal levels. In Episode 120 of Edit Your Life, Christine interviews Isabel Kallman, one of the co-founders of the recently-launched Feed Our Democracy. Christine and Isabel talk about the magic of activating around food, how to choose an issue when you’re overwhelmed, the incredible power of teens, the necessity of integrating self-care into your advocacy, how to deal with advocacy fatigue, and more.
Click “play” above to listen. If the player isn’t visible, listen directly at SoundCloud.com, or use a podcast app on your phone or tablet. Not sure how? Click here for directions.
Resources mentioned in this episode
- Minimalist Parenting (our book)
- Feed Our Democracy (plus check out their issues page + event hosting toolkit)
- Isabel’s website Alpha Mom
- March For Our Lives
- Amazing photos from the Pizza & Posters for Change event in Austin
- Media coverage of the Pizza & Posters for Change event via the Austin Statesman
- Check out Laura Mayes’ Instagram for more from the Pizza & Posters for change event
- Students Demand Action via Everytown For Gun Safety
- TODAY show coverage of the March For Our Lives
- Roxanna Sarmiento’s kids forced her sick self out of bed to go march!
- Black Lives Matter and #SelfCareSaturday (related episode: Prioritizing “Me” Time)
- Christine’s Feed Our Democracy event was fueled by these two cakes
- Swing Left and Flippable (organizations working to flip the government blue)
- 5calls.org (phone calls to your representatives made easy!)
- Related episode: Episode 59: Relaxed Entertaining
- Related episode: Episode 79: The Joy of Tweens and Teens
Question Of The Week
What political or social issue do you feel passionate about? Join the discussion on the Edit Your Life Facebook page (look for the Question Of The Week post pinned to the top of the page).
Get In Touch
- Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Talk to us on Instagram or Twitter using #EditYourLifeShow
If you’re enjoying our podcast, please consider leaving a review on iTunes. It’s one of the best ways you can help new listeners find us. Here’s how to leave a review.
Interested in sponsorship?
We’ve got an awesome range of lifestyle, parenting and productivity topics in the queue for future episodes. If you’d like to discuss sponsoring an episode, email us at email@example.com.
Catch up on previous episodes
Here’s a complete listing of every episode.