“What is wrong with me and why can’t I get it together?” These are among the heartbreaking questions recently sent in by a listener who feels that she is routinely falling short juggling the demands of work + parenting a toddler. In Episode 118 of Edit Your Life, Asha talks about this letter with licensed mental health counselor Jonathan Baxter. They discuss the gulf between life balance expectations and reality, the toxicity of comparison, separating who you are from what’s happening in your day-to-day life, how to function while in survival mode, and the importance of issuing kindness and self-compassion when there’s not enough time or sleep to go around.
Resources mentioned in this episode
- Minimalist Parenting (our book)
- Jonathan Baxter, LMHC (our guest, a Boston-based therapist)
- Episode 74: Learning To Compromise Well [Rebroadcast] (guest interview with Jonathan Baxter)
- Episode 58: Improving Relationship Communication (guest interview with Jonathan Baxter)
- Episode 28: Learning To Compromise Well (guest interview with Jonathan Baxter)
- Episode 116: Tackling Challenges + Insecurities
- Episode 97: Moving Forward Under Stress
- Episode 88: Happy Loud Life (guest interview with Jill Krause)
- Episode 77: Parenting Do-Overs
- Episode 75: Women + Mentorship (guest interview with Jessica Ashley)
- Episode 52: Navigating New Parenthood
- Episode 45: Letting Go of the Hero Role
- Episode 27: Modeling Imperfection
- Episode 21: Saying Yes To Saying No
Question Of The Week
What is a current pain point in your life balance? Join the discussion on the Edit Your Life Facebook page (look for the Question Of The Week post pinned to the top of the page).
Get In Touch
- Email us at email@example.com
- Talk to us on Instagram or Twitter using #EditYourLifeShow
Interested in sponsorship?
We’ve got an awesome range of lifestyle, parenting and productivity topics in the queue for future episodes. If you’d like to discuss sponsoring an episode, email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Catch up on previous episodes
Here’s a complete listing of every episode.