Language naturally evolves over time, but it can also be challenging, especially around (politicized) topics such as gender identity. In Episode 114 of Edit Your Life, Christine interviews Casey Brown about gender identity, language, and parenting. They talk about Casey’s gender identity journey over the last 17 years, the importance of giving kids room around gender identity, how kids are often more comfortable than adults when talking about gender, “pronouns 101,” and how compassionately communicating with other human beings boils down to some really, really simple universals and actions.
Resources mentioned in this episode
- Minimalist Parenting (our book)
- Life With Roozle (Casey’s blog) + these amazing posts: 17 Years Later I’m Still Coming Out, Lessons From My 8-Year-Old On Gender Identity
- Casey’s Instagram account: @lifewithroozle (Riley is the fanciest!)
- Edit Your Life Episode 110: Untangling Overparenting (interview with Jessica Lahey)
- Singular “they” = the word of the year in 2015
- AMAZE.org + our interview with AMAZE’s Nora Gelperin on Talking To Kids About Sexual Harassment
- Christine’s Facebook Live on Parenting A Transgender Child (this recap post includes additional web and book resources)
- The Gender Spectrum (at the Teaching Tolerance website)
- Casey recommends: What Makes A Baby by Cory Silverberg and Fiona Smyth, Red: A Crayon’s Story by Michael Hall
- Gender Identity: Being Female, Male, Transgender or Genderfluid (video from AMAZE.org)
Question Of The Week
What topic do you find most challenging to talk about with your kids? Join the discussion on the Edit Your Life Facebook page (look for the Question Of The Week post pinned to the top of the page).
Get In Touch
- Email us at email@example.com
- Talk to us on Instagram or Twitter using #EditYourLifeShow
Interested in sponsorship?
We’ve got an awesome range of lifestyle, parenting and productivity topics in the queue for future episodes. If you’d like to discuss sponsoring an episode, email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Catch up on previous episodes
Here’s a complete listing of every episode.