Most of us want to eat healthy family meals and prepare them with a minimum of fuss and expense. That said, not all of us like to cook, and not all of our kids like to eat what we cook. Even those of us who enjoy cooking don’t always have the time. Real life is messy, no matter what our shiny cookbooks and social media feeds say.
In Episode 113 of Edit Your Life, Asha interviews Stacie Billis, managing editor of Cool Mom Eats and author of the cookbook Make It Easy. Listening to Stacie talk about food, cooking, and real-life family meals is a breath of fresh air! Asha and Stacie talk about the tricky storyline around family food (and why Stacie waited years to write her cookbook), her relaxed approach to getting meals on the table, favorite grocery store shortcuts, meal planning tips, and permission to find your own joy of cooking…whatever that looks like to you.
Resources mentioned in this episode
- Minimalist Parenting (our book)
- Make It Easy: 120 Mix-and-Match Recipes to Cook from Scratch–with Smart Store-Bought Shortcuts When You Need Them (Stacie’s cookbook)
- One Hungry Mama on YouTube (Stacie’s YouTube channel)
- Cool Mom Eats (Stacie is the managing editor)
- Recipe Rescue Facebook group (about the group, via Cool Mom Eats)
- Stacie’s cookbook recommendations: Dinner In An Instant by Melissa Clark, Vegan for Everybody by America’s Test Kitchen, and more favorite cookbook picks at Cool Mom Eats
- Sweet potato fajitas recipe
- Soba noodle salad (video recipe)
- Instant Pot (the electric pressure cooker everyone’s talking about)
- Stacie’s video recipe for 5-ingredient chili for the Instant Pot
- Maya Kaimal Indian simmer sauces
- Stacie’s trick for pre-cooking pasta (Cool Mom Eats)
- Related episode: Episode 112: Cookbooks We Love
- Related Episode: Episode 14: Weekday Dinner Solutions
- Related episode: Episode 4: School Lunch Solutions
Question Of The Week
What’s your favorite pantry item or grocery store shortcut ingredient? Join the discussion on the Edit Your Life Facebook page (look for the Question Of The Week post pinned to the top of the page).
Get In Touch
- Email us at email@example.com
- Talk to us on Instagram or Twitter using #EditYourLifeShow
Interested in sponsorship?
We’ve got an awesome range of lifestyle, parenting and productivity topics in the queue for future episodes. If you’d like to discuss sponsoring an episode, email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Catch up on previous episodes
Here’s a complete listing of every episode.