The violent white nationalist rally in Charlottesville, VA, followed by the troubling equivocal response from the White House, has trained a spotlight on hate groups and racism in America, both past- and present-day. In Episode 91, Christine and Asha share their personal reactions to Charlottesville plus what they are hearing from their communities. They go on to offer 7 suggestions for how you can make a difference taking a stand against hate.
Click “play” above to listen. If the player isn’t visible, listen directly at SoundCloud.com, or use a podcast app on your phone or tablet. Not sure how? Click here for directions.
Resources mentioned in this episode
- Background: What happened at the Charlottesville “Unite The Right” white nationalist rally according to USA Today and CNN and respected conservative publication Weekly Standard
- Post-Charlottesville presidential press conference video
- Christine’s Facebook Live broadcast following the Charlottesville attack
- The day I was told to leave America – It was just last week (by Christine on her blog Boston Mamas)
- Shaun King’s articles in the NY Daily News
- SPLC Hate Map
- 8/17 episode of Pod Save America (including an interview with SPLC’s Lecia Brooks)
- How to talk to your kids about Charlottesville (LA Times article Christine appreciated)
- Capitol Switchboard phone number: 202-224-3121 (for calling your reps!)
- Capitol switchboard tee Christine designed for Brave New World Designs
- 5Calls.org (scripts and resources for calling your Congresspeople)
- Resistbot.io (effortlessly fax your reps)
- An excellent post by Asha’s friend re: white privilege
- On racism, discrimination and bigotry (helpful primer by Karen Walrond of Chookooloonks)
- White Privilege: Unpacking the Invisible Backpack by Peggy McIntosh
- Maybe Now Isn’t The Time, Guys (conversation about white privilege at The Rootshared by Christine’s friend Denene Miller of My Brown Baby)
- SPLC donate page
- NAACP donate page
- ACLU donate page
Question Of The Week
What’s the best article or book you’ve read about racism in America? Join the discussion on the Edit Your Life Facebook page (look for the Question Of The Week post).
Get In Touch
- Email us at email@example.com
- Talk to us on Instagram or Twitter using #EditYourLifeShow
Interested in sponsorship?
We’ve got an awesome range of lifestyle, parenting and productivity topics in the queue for future episodes. If you’d like to discuss sponsoring an episode, email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Catch up on previous episodes
Here’s a complete listing of every episode.