A common reality in relationships is that communication can feel very “transactional” and loaded — particularly when it comes to negotiating time.
In Episode 61, Christine and I respond to a listener letter and share 7 tips for how to get past feeling guilty for taking time for yourself or feeling that you owe something in return, while also improving your communication with and treatment of one another.
Resources mentioned in this episode
- Minimalist Parenting
- Parent Hacks
- Edit Your Life Episode 28: Learning To Compromise Well
- Episode 58: Improving Relationship Communication
- Edit Your Life Episode 8: Finding Your Fringe Hours
- Edit Your Life Episode 38: Prioritizing “Me” Time
- A Warm Fuzzy Tale by Claude Steiner (that children’s book I mentioned)
- How parenthood changes marriage: Gottman’s “And Baby Makes Three” (Parent Hacks reader book recommendation)
- 6 Truths that will Strengthen Your Marriage (I wrote this on my 21st anniversary)
We’d love to hear from you! Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org with thoughts, questions, episode ideas, or sponsorship enquiries.