We hear a lot about the dark side of screens and electronics; how they’re contributing to social isolation, childhood obesity, cyberbullying, or just sucking the joy out of family time. And it’s true, managing electronics is tricky. But in this episode, we discuss the upside of electronics. Electronics are increasingly a part of our kids’ lives: school, homework, entertainment, communication, and social lives. Given that they are here to stay, we wanted to lend some balance to the doom-and-gloom around screens and mobile devices.
If you’re not seeing the Soundcloud player, you can listen to Episode 19 directly on Soundcloud.
To listen via your phone or tablet, launch your favorite podcast app and search for Edit Your Life.
Mentioned in the podcast
- Minimalist Parenting
- Edit Your Life Episode 5: The Device Divide
- The Unexpected Upside of “Too Much Screen Time” (at Parent Hacks)
- Christy Matte of Quirky Fusion
- Phone contract for kids (Boston Mamas)
- Brother’s Brew in Rockport (the very first usage of the phone to extend the leash)
- YouTube (awesome for tutorials…LaurDIY is one of Laurel’s favorites)
- My daughter has been rocking digital art using DeviantArt + Speedpaint tutorials on YouTube
- Quandary (ethical gaming)
- Microsoft’s YouthSpark + Imagine Cup (inspiring kids to be awesome through coding)
- TEALS (a program that pairs volunteers with an engineering background with high schools teachers to bring CS classes to schools)
- DigiGirlz (a set of online tools and in-person camps to get girls coding)
Talk to us!
What are the upsides of electronics in your family? Tell us using #EditYourLifeShow or head over to the Edit Your Life Facebook Page and let us know.
Interested in becoming an Edit Your Life episode sponsor?
We’ve got an awesome range of lifestyle/parenting/productivity topics in the queue for future episodes. If you’d like to discuss episode sponsorship, drop us a line at firstname.lastname@example.org.