We just had a power outage the other day and we learned some lessons.
1. When you lose power you also lose heat.
2. Mocking the public service announcements telling you to have a “go bag” ready with enough clothes, diapers, medicines, etc to keep the family going for a couple of days is not polite and just plain bad karma.
3. Having flashlights is good, flashlights with batteries is better, but putting the flashlights with batteries some place easily accessible is best (hint: not the basement). Bonus points for having a flashlight for every member of the family.
4. One great reason to have an answering machine (other than the phone company will not charge you $6 a month in perpetuity for it) is that after you abandon ship you can call home to see if your power has come back on.
5. Before you throw your phone book away, program the electric company’s name into your cell phone.
The good news is that the kids had a wonderful time.
Also good to have candles and matches stockpiled. I’d love to hear everyone’s “in case of a power outage” ideas!