If a bathroom remodel is in your future, here are a few suggestions to make it more family-friendly.
- Consider adding a hand shower. Not only are hand showers great for rinsing shampoo off little heads, they're less intimidating for older kids transitioning from baths to showers. They also make cleaning the bathtub a snap. You can either replace your regular shower head with a hand shower (the kind that slides up and down on a bar so you can adjust the height), or you can install both, and use a diverter to direct water to one head or the other.
- Install a grab bar inside the shower stall. Good for everyone — it's slippery in there.
- Choose a soft-close toilet seat. No more slamming.
- A pedestal sink, well-anchored to the wall studs, has no cabinet doors to open.
- If you like to keep cleaning supplies in the bathroom, consider adding a small shelf above the door frame to keep them out of reach. Store supplies in a plastic caddy so you can grab them easily.
Any other suggestions?